Sunday, September 16, 2012

Socks Prevent Sickness




Trying to sneak a peak at what was for dinner, my señora stopped me mid tiptoe as I attempted to dodge the squeaky floorboard minefield that is our hallway. “¿!Sin calcetines?!”  Thank goodness Ana is a master of charades, quickly miming pulling something over her foot, because in my Spanish lexicon I totally couldn’t remember if “el calcetine” was a sock or a kind of shellfish.

I retorted with a quick “¿por qué?” as I glanced over her shoulder to see a sauté pan sputtering with two fried eggs. Yum. !Ella recibirá la gripe!” My puzzled face was probably priceless, because I did not (and still don’t) understand how wearing socks when it’s 90°F will prevent me from getting the flu. Not wanting to bite the hand that feeds me, I creaked back to my closet to pull on a pair of socks before dinner.

Two weeks into the semester and I’m definitely calling Madrid home now. Everyday I experience something new about this city, but I always have the same feeling of happiness and relief walking up to the gorgeous white doors I call home. Inside I know I’ll find Ana cooking up something wonderful and Juan ready to relay the latest NFL scores when we sit down at the table, which is quite literally one of the best moments of the day. Honestly, it could be 2 o’clock in the afternoon, but my roommates and I are always talking about what we’ll be having for dinner at 8:30!

Well, nothing else to report but that Spain is awesome (oh, and I went to Toledo last weekend, check out some photos below!), and I'm completely loving every moment I'm lucky enough to spend here. 

Until next time, be sure to wear your socks and eat lots of gazpacho (Ana'a other preventative medicine!) 

Molly


The end result of that fried egg was "Arroz Cubano", a delicious dish of eggs, rice, and tomato sauce that you mix all together to eat. The vibrant orange yolk spills out and makes a decadent sauce.

C/ Arenal 20. Ridiculous, I know!

Happy Birthday, Juan! Nothing like celebrating with Ana's chocolate torte and a shot of Jack Daniels! 
Yet another yummy dinner... this one was tuna stuffed tomatoes and roasted veggies
The cathedral in Toledo

a Toledo panoramic 


Fruit here is amazing! 

No comments:

Post a Comment