Wednesday, October 10, 2012

München


Born a Georgia peach and raised a Midwestern gal, I like to think I know a thing or two about hospitality and charm. After visiting Oktoberfest this weekend I’ve decided that the Germans take the cake when it comes to amenability, and they also have one of the best festivals for any foodie to drool over.

Inside the tents you’re forced to squeeze onto a bench next to complete strangers. A waitress (wearing the super cliché outfit and called a “beer wench”) comes over with twelve steins, six in each hand, and drops them on your table. After clinking glasses and bellowing “prost!” the strangers quickly become like your oldest friends.

Bier! 

Hofbräuhaus beer tent
Although we met people from all across Europe, the Germans were some of my favorite people to sit next to in the tents. Their pride for their culture was contagious, and always they were there to answer any questions we had about the different traditions of Oktoberfest. Curious about why the men wear lederhosen? I learned it was what the working class wore until the 19th century when it became more of a costume representative of Bavarian culture.

See Mom and Dad, it was educational!

Not Germans, but great friends nonetheless! 
My new German friends also were quick to recommend some of the gastronomical specialties of Oktoberfest. Bratwursts, Wiener schnitzel, and strudels were amongst the favorites of the locales and all of them were delicious. The bratwurst was smeared with mustard, topped with sauerkraut, and had the natural casing that snapped perfectly with each bite. Dare I say it was better than those in Wisconsin? (sorry!) 

While the traditional foods were tremendous, my personal choice was not necessarily German. Rather, the best thing I ate at Oktoberfest was a whole roasted Mackerel that caught eyes of our group as we walked past to a beer tent. Immediately, we made plans to go back for lunch, a decision we definitely didn’t regret!

Salt, charcoal, and the sweetness of the sea were the only seasonings. It was some of the most pure seafood I’ve ever enjoyed and from an environment I would have never guessed.

the fish lined up over the charcoals


delicious!


I loved every moment I spent in Germany and would highly recommend experiencing Oktoberfest once in your lifetime. The Germans will welcome you with a cold stein of world-famous bier in one hand and a pillowy pretzel bigger than your head in the other! 


No comments:

Post a Comment