Tuesday, October 30, 2012

No**algia In Paris


For two years the chefs at The Culinary Institute of America harped at me the importance of knowing the classic French foundations. This meant that words like “mise en place”, “au sec”, and “chiffonade” were all vital parts of my everyday vernacular. At the time, it sometimes seemed silly to use such particular and old-fashioned language, yet the school insisted upon following in the ways of the traditional French chefs.

I graduated almost two years ago, but this past weekend I finally fully appreciated the French foundations of my alma mater.

In Paris every corner I turned displayed of the techniques and terms I spent so long learning. Confits, gastriques, and braises were found chalked on every menu board I passed, reminding me of the long hours spent in the kitchens of Roth Hall. It was the paradise that a true gourmand could appreciate knowing the rich history and culture that surrounded the food.


In between seeing the breathtaking sights of Paris I had some incredible food, which included the most decadent hot chocolate of my life, a perfect crepe, and a surprising Caribbean lunch at a Sunday market.

Such decadent hot chocolate at Angelina's 
A nutella crepe at the foot of the Eiffel Tower, what more could you ask for?
While these were all wonderful, the true epicurean delight of the trip was the opportunity to utilize those French techniques of The Culinary by actually cooking.

After an afternoon espresso with my roommate, (which was a Parisian experience in itself) we shopped in the neighborhood around our hostel for our dinner. First stop was the boulangerie where we picked up two baguettes. Next we crossed the street to get some fresh produce at a grocer before grabbing some cheese, chicken, and foie gras on the corner. Lastly, we picked up a few bottles of Bordeaux and Beaujolais to enjoy with our meal.

Granted, it was a hostel kitchen which meant wrestling to dice a sweet potato with a butter knife, but it felt great to cook nonetheless. The meal had a quick salad topped with fruit (grapes and orangas), toasted walnuts, seared foie gras and a balsamic vinaigrette. There was also sauteed chicken, a side of fresh vegetables, and torn off hunks of chewy baguette with fromage.

Nostalgia filled me as I shared this meal with my roommates because I remembered learning all of the different techniques I used for the dinner at The Culinary. Somehow, I appreciated knowing the proper way to sear foie gras or to emulsify a vinaigrette even more in Paris. Perhaps it was the culinary capital sweeping me up in it’s magic, but every aspect of cooking that meal (even cursing the crummy sauté pan for being bent and uneven) felt pure.

I’ve always been a proud graduate of The Culinary Institute of America, but now thanks to Paris I truly understand the importance of the French culinary education I received.

No comments:

Post a Comment